top of page

Top Soft Skills for Tech Jobs Going into 2024

five tech workers around a table with laptops and papers collaborating

As 2024 begins - a new year with new beginnings and possibilities - many individuals may be looking to improve their skills for careers in technology. These skills can be split into two categories: hard skills and soft skills. Sometimes, soft skills are overlooked in favor of hard skills, but in truth, soft skills can be just as important in business. 

Research shows that 85% of job success comes from well-developed soft skills and people skills, compared to the remaining 15% of job success that’s earned through technical skills and knowledge. While technical skills and knowledge are critical for success in the tech industry, soft skills complement and enhance the overall effectiveness of professionals. Let’s look at some of the top soft skills that tech professionals can develop to get ahead in their careers.

1. Communication

One of the most important soft skills to have in the tech industry is communication; it is crucial to be able to convey complex ideas well and communicate effectively on your planned vision to those who understand tech language and those who don’t. In addition, it is just as important to be a good listener. Understanding the needs and concerns of team members, clients, and end-users is essential for successful collaboration. 

2. Teamwork and Collaboration

Collaboration with colleagues in a technology position is an important part of effective business. This soft skill is especially significant when working with many individuals from different backgrounds and ones that may have different visions and ideas. It is critical to accept the diverse perspectives, knowledge, and experiences that everyone brings to the table in order to foster teamwork skills.

3. Time Management

A team member’s time management skills, or lack thereof, can make a huge difference in team dynamics and ability to collaborate. Time management and organization skills are important for meeting project deadlines, managing workloads, and maintaining productivity in technology positions. By setting priority lists and planning schedules, tech professionals can work on better developing time management skills. Being able to prioritize tasks based on importance and urgency contributes to efficient and effective work.

4. Creativity 

Tech careers require creative thinking consistently as a part of problem solving and preventing potential problems. Soft skills like creative and innovative thinking helps tech professionals develop new and effective solutions as well as bringing fresh ideas to the evolving world of tech. 

5. Flexibility 

The world of technology can be unpredictable and constantly changing, and tech professionals face these challenges on a daily basis. Due to this uncertainty, it is important to learn flexibility and adaptability in a technological work environment. Being adaptable and open to learning new technologies and methodologies is key for success.

Soft skills are essential for tech professionals to thrive in their roles, contribute to team success, and navigate the dynamic and challenging nature of the tech industry. Combining technical expertise with strong soft skills creates well-rounded professionals who can adapt, collaborate, and excel in their careers.

At Sedna Consulting Group, we have developed a skilled and experienced team that has helped many businesses with their technology needs. Our 15 years of assisting our clients with IT solutions has effectively prepared us for the rapidly changing world of technology. Send us a message on LinkedIn or Instagram if you would like to learn more about what we can do for your business.



bottom of page